What personal information do we collect about you?
We collect personal information from you when you provide it to us directly, when you use our Website and services and in the course of providing services to you, including estate agency, conveyancing and mortgage services. This information may include:
- Information you provide to us:
- When you create an account with us, such as your name, email address, phone number and password;
- When using the Website, for example your address and postcode;
- In order to allow us to market and sell your property; and
- In order to enquire about, view, offer on, or purchase a property we are selling;
- Records of your interactions with Acorn (e.g. during the sale and/or purchase of your property). We record telephone calls made to and from Acorn for quality control and training purposes;
- Information, including identity documents, you provide to us or our service providers to carry out Know Your Customer and anti-money laundering checks required by law; and
- Technical information, including your IP address, and a record of your interactions with our Website.
What do we use this personal information for?
Depending on how you use our Website, your interactions with us, and the permissions you give us, the purposes for which we use your personal information include:
- Providing you with services, such as estate agency or mortgage lending and to allow us to accurately value your property, price our services to you and verify your ownership of relevant properties;
- Managing our exposure to risk, including in relation to Covid-19 related risks;
- Fulfilling requests submitted via the Website and maintaining your account;
- Carrying out our obligations, and exercising our rights, under any contract you enter into with us, including mortgage contracts;
- Personalising the Website and displaying content we think you will be most interested in, based on your account information and your history on our Website;
- Understanding how our products and services are being used, analysing the performance of our products and services, and maintaining and updating our Website;
- Sending you marketing messages and showing you targeted advertising, where we have your consent or are otherwise permitted to do so;
- Complying with our security, legal and regulatory obligations including prevention of fraud, auditing, reporting and money laundering risk.
Our basis for processing under TRNC data protection law
Generally, we rely on your consent to process the personal information collected via our Websites, so that we can provide you with the services we offer; for example, when you create an account with us, instruct us to sell your property, provide us with health information in order to manage risks relating to Covid-19 or apply for a mortgage with us. You can withdraw your consent at any time (see ‘Storage and Deletion’ below), but if you do so we may need to delete your account and related information and may no longer be able to provide you with services.
We may also process your personal information where it is in our legitimate interests to do so, in order to maintain our Website and conduct our business. For example:
- To conduct analysis on how the Website is used;
- Where the whole or part of our company or business is acquired by, or transferred to, another entity; or
- To deal with any complaints.
We may also process personal information when it is necessary for the performance of a contract, including in relation to any mortgage documentation we enter into.
Marketing & Advertising
If you have opted in to receive marketing from us, we may use your personal information to send you marketing, including by email, SMS or post. Some of these messages may be tailored to you, based on your previous use of our Website and interactions with our services.
If you no longer want to receive marketing communications from us, you can change your preferences at any time by clicking on the ‘unsubscribe’ link in any email.
You may also see adverts for our Website or services on third party websites, including on social media. These ads may be tailored to you using cookies and/or similar technologies. Where you see an ad on third party websites or social media, this may be because we have engaged the third party or social network to show ads to our users, or others who match the demographic profile of our users. In some cases, this may involve sharing your email address and related personal information with the third party or social network so that they can identify you as one of our users. If you no longer want to see tailored ads you can change your cookie and privacy settings on your browser and these third party websites.
Who do we share this personal information with?
We share users’ personal information with third parties in the following circumstances:
- With service providers when necessary to provide us with a service, such as technical service providers;
- With our professional and legal advisors, business partners and financial service providers;
- Where necessary, we will provide your details and those of the other party to your transactions to your property solicitors, and solicitors of the other party to your transactions;
- With third parties engaged in fraud prevention and detection;
- Mortgage brokers and conveyancing solicitors, where we have your permission to do so;
- With law enforcement or other governmental authorities, in response to a lawful request or court order;
- Otherwise where we have your consent or are otherwise legally permitted to do so.
Storage and Deletion
Our Website is hosted by Google which has servers based around the world, and we may use other international service providers. Consequently, your personal information may be processed in countries outside of Europe, including in countries where you have fewer legal rights in respect of your data than you do under local law. Where we transfer personal information outside the European Economic Area we will, as required by applicable law, ensure that your privacy rights are adequately protected by appropriate safeguards, including by using the EU Standard Contractual Clauses and the EU-US Privacy Shield. Please contact us if you would like more information about these safeguards.
We retain your information even after your last interaction with us, to ensure we can provide you with a seamless experience if you contact us for a future transaction. We may hold this information for differing period depending on regulatory requirements, or in the event of a legal claim or complaint.
If you would like to delete your Acorn account, please contact us. Please note, however, that if you delete your account we may retain some of your details (for example if you have made a complaint about our services), for as long as is necessary to protect us from a legal claim. If you unsubscribe from our marketing communications, we will keep a record of your email address to ensure we do not send you marketing emails in future.
Users under 18
Our Websites is not intended for, and should not be used by, anyone under the age of 18. We do not knowingly collect personal information from individuals under 18.
You have certain rights in respect of your personal information, including the right to access, correct, and request the erasure of your personal information.
You also have the right to object to your personal information being used for certain purposes, including to send you marketing. See ‘Marketing’ above, for more details of how to opt-out of marketing.
We will comply with any requests to exercise your rights in accordance with applicable law. Please be aware, however, that there are a number of limitations to these rights, and there may be circumstances where we are not able to comply with your request. To make any requests regarding your personal information, or if you have any questions or concerns regarding your personal information, please contact us using the details below.
Last updated December 2020